19 June 2019
New 6th English edition of “Technology Brewing & Malting” released
“Technology Brewing & Malting” – known in brewing circles as ‘the Kunze’ – has been accompanying countless brewers and maltsters while learning and practicing their trade ever since the first edition was published in 1961.
Meanwhile, a total of more than 62 000 copies of this unique reference book has been published in seven languages, with around 34 000 copies in German, 17000 in English, 6000 in Chinese, 3500 in Russian, and 1500 in Spanish as well as translations into Polish, Serbian, and Hungarian.
The size alone speaks for itself, the book has around 1000 pages with some 800 illustrations – many of them in color. “Technology Brewing & Malting” has become a national and international standard work, thanks to its practical and comprehensive representation of all malt and beer production aspects. The 6th English edition is an entirely new translation based on the revised 11th German edition from 2016. It contains didactically clear, graphic, and current descriptions of all essential malt and beer production aspects, from the raw materials to malt and beer production to filling and packaging.
- Raw materials: Barley, hops, water, yeast, adjuncts (70 pages)
- Malt production (90 pages)
- Wort production (166 pages)
- Beer production: Fermentation, maturation, filtration, stabilization (168 pages)
- Filling the beer: One-way/returnable glass bottles, PET, cans, kegs (153 pages)
- Cleaning and disinfection (15 pages)
- Finished beer: Ingredients, beer types, quality (56 pages)
- Small scale brewing (20 pages)
- Waste disposal and the environment (14 pages)
- Energy management in the brewery and malting (50 pages)
- Automation and plant planning (47 pages)
The book addresses all professional brewers, from ambitious homebrewers, craft brewers, micro brewers, pub brewers up to industrial brewers. Because of its clear and thorough representation of all relevant aspects of malt and beer production in almost 60 years, ”Technology Brewing & Malting” has become to what it is today: a standard work – across the globe.
About the author
Wolfgang Kunze, born in 1926, was a qualified brewer and studied brewing engineering at the VLB Berlin. As teacher and head of the Dresden Brewing School he introduced generations of brewers and maltsters to the art of beer brewing for 38 years. His comprehensive knowledge and his didactic experience, which he vividly conveyed in his book, have made “Technology Brewing and Malting” to a standard work internationally known and scientifically cited. Wolfgang Kunze died in 2016. In accordance with his testament, the VLB Berlin continues his work. Under the editorship of Olaf Hendel and supported by the team of VLB Berlin, this standard work will be adapted to the latest state of technology in all future editions.
Textbook “Technology Brewing & Malting”, 6th completely revised English edition
- Author: Wolfgang Kunze and Olaf Hendel (Editor)
- Release: June 2019
- Size: Hardcover, 17 x 23.5 cm, 2.0 kg
- Scope: 940 pages, colored, 850 figures
- ISBN-13: 978-3921690-87-1
- Customer sales price: EUR 169 plus shipping
- Publisher: Versuchs- und Lehranstalt für Brauerei in Berlin (VLB) e.V., Seestr. 13, 13353 Berlin, Germany; www.vlb-berlin.org/en/books;
The title will not be available as electronic edition.
Versuchs- und Lehranstalt für Brauereien in Berlin (VLB) e.V., Berlin, Germany